Obsługa prawna cudzoziemców – usługa dla firm

Employment of foreigners

Employment of foreigners in Poland – legal services for companies

We offer comprehensive legal support for employers of workers from the European Union and outside the EU.

We help in fulfilling all procedures connected with legalization of stay and obtaining documents necessary for taking up employment by foreigners. We also provide support in the procedure enabling their families to stay in Poland.

Legalization of work and stay in Poland

TGC Corporate Lawyers specializes in obtaining permits for work in Poland and documents ensuring legal stay in Poland for foreigners from outside the European Union and their families. We provide comprehensive assistance and ensure that our clients do not suffer any negative consequences of illegal employment of workers. We offer our clients representation before administrative authorities in procedures legalizing stay in the territory of Poland and obtaining residence cards for foreigners they want to employ.

We provide support for employers in obtaining documents enabling the legalization of a foreigner’s stay in Poland. Our services:

Pracodawcom zapewniamy wsparcie w uzyskaniu dokumentów umożliwiających legalizację pobytu cudzoziemca w Polsce. Nasze usługi:

  • Obtaining a work permit
  • Obtaining a residence card, including:
    • obtaining a permanent residence card,
    • obtaining a temporary residence card,
    • obtaining a long-term resident’s EU card,
    • obtaining the EU Blue Card.

Employment of workers from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Armenia

We also provide legal support for employers employing citizens of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Armenia on the basis of the employer’s declaration of entrustment.

Legalization of stay and obtaining a permit to work in Poland – scope of corporate services   

As part of our services we provide employers with comprehensive support on each stage of the procedure of legalization of stay in Poland and obtaining a work permit for a foreigner, including:

  • advice on choosing the right procedure and the right type of work permit or residence permit,
  • obtaining residence cards, including a permanent residence card, a temporary residence card, a long-term resident’s EU card and the EU blue card,
  • obtaining all types of work permits and extensions of work permits,
  • handling matters relating to the obtaining of invitation,
  • obtaining statements on entrustment of work,
  • making “notification” on taking up employment by the Ukrainian citizen,
  • obtaining residence registration and residence cards of a family member of an EU citizen, including permanent residence cards for EU citizens and their families,
  • proper completion of relevant applications for granting a residence permit and/or a work permit to a foreigner, in accordance with the requirements of the office and in accordance with the provisions of law,
  • contacting Poviat Labour Offices and Voivodeship Offices,
  • submitting an offer of a vacant place of employment in order to obtain information from the district governor (starosta) if required,
  • preparation of additional documents/statements within the scope of services provided to foreigners,
  • legal assistance regarding the required documentation and ongoing support in the process of obtaining a work permit,
  • support of a foreigner in the event of a summons to appear in person in the office in order to provide explanations,
  • cooperation with a sworn translator and a notary public, if necessary,
  • advising on the provisions of Polish immigration law,
  • assistance in obtaining a Tax Identification Number (NIP),
  • assistance in obtaining PESEL number – including PESEL number for foreigners not residing in Poland,
  • conducting cases for certification of Polish citizenship,
  • other issues related to the stay of foreigners on the territory of Poland.

See also: The government is preparing changes in the employment of foreigners


Employment of foreigners from outside the EU

Employment of workers from the EU – scope of service

We assist employers who employ foreigners from the European Union in the following areas:

  • registration of the stay of an employee from the EU,
  • obtaining a residence card of a family member of an EU citizen
  • obtaining a permanent residence card for EU citizens and their families 

What is a residence card?

A residence card is a confirmation of the right of a foreigner to stay in Poland. A foreigner who holds a valid residence card can cross the Polish border many times and travel to countries in the Schengen area without the need for a visa.

The type of the issued residence card, and consequently the period of its validity, depends on the basis for its issue. The basis for applying for a residence card may be:

  • a permanent residence permit,
  • a temporary residence permit,
  • a long-term EU resident’s residence permit

A permanent residence card issued on the basis of a permanent residence permit is valid for 10 years. A temporary residence card is issued for a maximum period of three years. If the temporary residence permit is shorter, the validity of the card is identical to the period for which the residence permit was granted.

It should be remembered that in case of an illegal stay of a foreigner on the territory of the Republic of Poland, administrative proceedings are initiated in order to oblige the foreigner to return. The proceedings concerning the obligation to return are initiated and conducted by the commanding officer of the Border Guard post or the commanding officer of the Border Guard division.

What is a work permit?

A work permit is a document that should be obtained by a foreigner who wants to work legally in Poland. A direct applicant in the procedure of obtaining a work permit is an employer (Polish or foreign), which may be a company having legal personality or a natural person. Sanctions for entities which entrust work to a foreigner who does not have a work permit to perform work on the territory of Poland are generally regulated by the provisions of the Act of 15 June 2012 on the consequences of entrusting work to foreigners residing in the territory of the Republic of Poland in violation of the regulations (Journal of Laws of 2012, item 769). Employment of foreigners without a valid work permit may result in the necessity to cover the costs related to their expulsion from the country.

A work permit is issued for employment with a specific employer for a specific foreigner, for a specific period of time and for a specific position. The permit must specify the type, place, time of work and remuneration for the employee. In order to change any of the aforementioned conditions of employment, it is necessary to submit relevant documents to the competent Voivodeship Office.

Employment of foreigners in Poland – find out how we can help!

Want to stay up to date?
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Full version

TGC Corporate Lawyers

ul. Hrubieszowska 2
01-209 Warszawa

+48 22 295 33 00

NIP: 525-22-71-480, KRS: 0000167447,
REGON: 01551820200000. Sąd Rejonowy dla
m.st. Warszawy, XII Wydział Gospodarczy